Sunday, September 28, 2008

Grammy

For those of you who visit Mark and Tricia's blog you are already aware of my Moms (Grammys) new hair dew. For the rest of you this will be new information. As most of you know Mom was diagnosed a couple months ago with HER 2 breast cancer. She has already had a lumpectomy and has just received her second chemo treatment. She has been very brave and though she is feeling poor and loosing her hair she has been in good spirits. She even played the piano today for Amber's solo in Church. She said she is overwhelmed by the family and friends that have reached out to offer prayers, notes, gifts and phone calls. Below is a sign she still has her sense of humor. She took her Grandson Sawyer's challenge to enjoy her hair while she had it by coloring it pink.



Up until Mom's diagnosis, breast cancer was always a distant disease that has never directly affected my family. Sure I had heard of pink ribbons and walks and seen both the heartache and stories of inspiration of the brave women who fight this disease valiantly. But despite this, it was not personal, so Mom's diagnoses has rattled me to say the least and has shaken the lives, in some degree, of all of us who love Her.
When I say "rattled Me" I don't just mean in a bad way. Along with the sadness and fear that comes with watching someone you care about go through all this, there have come some positive emotions as well. I Instantly felt a greater appreciation for Mom as well as the other important people in my life who I sometimes take for granted. I have genuine empathy now for individuals and families that face life threatening deseases. And most importanly we are closer as a family as we stand shoulder to shoulder with Mom as she fights this battle. A battle she will win!

4 comments:

anna said...

What a great sport your mom is! She looks so cute with her fun pink hair! Great post. Your mom is in our prayers!

Grammy said...

Thank you so much for such wonderful words of love and support. Without this love, support, and your confindence in me, I couldn't face this monster!! I am truly BLESSED--and so GRATEFUL for the most wonderful family in the whole wide world.

Beach Mommy said...

I had no idea! It breaks my heart to hear the news but knowing your mom, I bet she's doing well. We love her very much and our prayers are with her and your dad as well. Love you guys, look forward to seeing you soon!!!

Stevens Family said...

Scott you made me cry (not that the is hard!). We have your mom and your family in our prayers.