Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My BLUE eyes

At the beginning of every year I pull out my new calendar and go month by month and mark all the important dates. Sometimes I still don't remember a birthday or an anniversary but it gives me something to improve on. I am thankful for all of these dates because they give me the opportunity to reflect on, and be grateful for people and relationships in my life. Today I would like to honor the person who gave me my blue eyes.

Mom,
* I am thankful for your strength to overcome a difficult childhood
* I am thankful that you raised us with patience and meekness despite years of not feeling well and fighting illness
* I am thankful for years and years of your quiet support and trust
* I am thankful for all of our fried rice lunch dates together on the picnic table outside the dentist's office
* I am thankful for our 16 hour car rides together so that my kids and I can spend a week with you and dad every spring
* I am thankful for your time by my side as each of my babies has come into the world
* I am thankful for the reminder every now and again that my kids are wonderful and I'm doing a good job
* I am thankful for your cooking lessons even though you may not have known you were giving them
*I am thankful for your conversion and your testimony
* I am thankful for all of the phone calls...just because
* I am thankful for a grandma who adores her grandbabies
* I am thankful for our friendship
AND
* I am thankful for my blue eyes which I hope are not the only trait I inherited from you.


I love you, Mom.
Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

anna said...

your mom is beautiful! Her baby picture looks just like Nathan!!

Tricia said...

That was sweet. We love your Mom too! I hope her birthday was great!

Beach Mommy said...

Very nicely put! Now where's my write up? He He He

All joking aside, I think the last picture sums up how we all truly feel about our moms when the pride is put aside. Happy Birthday again Cathy!

Stevens Family said...

I would not doubt everyone who has ever met your mom, instantly falls in love with her!(I think you got more than her blue eyes, too!)

jenny said...

From all the talk I hear about your mom she sounds so amazing. Hopefully I'll get to meet her when she comes. Happy birthday to her!

Bennett Family said...

i LOVE that pic of your mom-she looks so PRETTY! i have always admired and respected your mom and i KNOW you got more than just her blue eyes. :)