Sunday, February 1, 2009

Goodbye old friend!


After five summers and a million memories we said goodbye to our boat this weekend. Though we have been trying to sell it for some time, I must admit it was a little hard to see the new owners drive away with it in tow.

One day in the spring of 2004 Amber called me at work out of the blue and said “we need to recreate more and I think we should get into water sports like a boat or something!” I had been consumed with my job since we had moved to Arizona and had forgotten how to play. Having done some boating and skiing in my younger days, her suggestion got me excited. It was the push I needed to get out of my work only routine and in fact I started calling people who owned boats the next day to do some research. One of those people was my Uncle who just happened to be selling his boat and within a month of Amber’s call we were officially owners of a 1995 Seaswirl Spyder. Since then we have logged countless hours of quality time together playing on the water.

In the big scheme of things I understand the boat itself is not important and in all honesty it’s not the boat that I will miss, though it was a good one. It’s separating the memories associated with it that's hard. The Spyder intrduced us to something we are now passionate about and will do the rest of our lives. Tubing, wakeboarding, the warm summer nights at Canyon lake watching the sun go down, exploring hidden canyons at Powell or just turning up the music and swimming in the middle of a lake, and all done as a family. In this day and age anything that can bring us together as a family is good and nothing brings you closer than a family of 6 on a 20' boat!

Make no mistake, there will be another boat someday but never another Spyder.







5 comments:

Stevens Family said...

ahhh, so sad...

Tricia said...

Goodbye boat! We enjoyed a VERY fun summer day on you! Now maybe you should take up winter sports...I even know a great state you could 'play' in :)!

anna said...

We too will miss that boat. You know, there were a lot of first's for our family and kids as well on that boat. Thanks for fostering our love of the water! We've definitely got the bug!!

jenny said...

That makes even me sad and I never even "met" your boat. Here is to a new adventure on that one that is waiting for you somewhere...

Beach Mommy said...

I will never forget the look of Cathy trying to ski on the kids' ski behind that boat... I laugh every time:)
How are the kids about it?? I remember crying in my room when my parents sold our boat. I specifically remember thinking, "she was a good boat.." So funny that such a little kid would have a thought like that..
Someday, we'll join the boat club!